Saturday, September 16, 2006

It's been a quiet week in Lake Woebegon

It really has been a ho-hum week, work-wise, weather-wise, personal life-wise . . . just not a lot going on. And maybe that's a good thing once in a while.

This WAS Today: Meredith Vieria replaced Katie Couric on the Today show, and while it's still early, I have to say she didn't wow me these last three mornings. Her looks, her personality, her delivery, her interviewing . . . all like my week - pretty ho-hum. And the reviews I read at USA Today from viewers are a mixed bag. Remember, even though she has a news background, this is the woman who also was host of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire." My sister and I desperately wanted Campbell Brown to get the job, so we are disappointed. While I won't stop watching Today, I won't be watching it for Vieria. And is the show's new set the ugliest thing you've ever seen? What's with that yellow?

And I'm not impressed with Katie Couric as anchor of the CBS Evening News. I have to admit I've never seen the show - I'm usually in my car on the way home from work, or on the way to Curves, so I listen on the radio and only hear her voice - but it doesn't have the authority and finesse that other anchors have. Katie was in her element on Today. I hope this was the right move for her.

Memories of Albany: Hoping my friend Roger can tell me the name of the vaudevillian who used to perform in downtown Albany, NY at lunchtime on Pearl Street in front of the Hilton plaza. I heard Nora Jones sing "Walkin' My Baby Back Home", an old Nat King Cole tune, on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz program on NPR, while driving home last night . . . it brought back memories of sitting in the plaza at lunchtime back in the early 90s when I worked for a downtown law firm. Two bucks got you a couple of hot dogs with mustard and sauerkraut, and a soda, and you got to hear Charlie (I think that was his name) do a vaudeville act, which included him doing "Walkin'". He'd wear a feather boa and imitate Carol Channing while singing. Did a google and yahoo search, checked the TU archives, can't find info on him. Can you help me out, Rog?

Leavin' on a Jet Plane: Three weeks from today, I'll be getting some northern exposure, when I visit New York State to visit family and friends. I'll also be spending a couple of days with my brother Steve in the great state of Maine. I can't wait to see everyone. But y'all better have some decent fall foliage ready and waiting!