Sunday, July 10, 2005

From the archives: The sound of music

Note: This was originally written January 3, 2005. I enjoy singing and found a challenge in the Orlando Chorale.

I auditioned this evening for the Orlando Chorale (www.theorlandochorale.org), a 60-voice chorus that performs classical works and new works, and I got accepted! Wa-hoo!
I had to fill out an application about my previous choral experience, talk with the director and music intern, vocalize for them, and sight-read a 1-1/2 page piece of music a cappella (without
accompaniment) after hearing the first few measures (and it included some Latin words too, snea-ky). When I finished the sight-reading, he said, "that was just beautiful." There was a pause, and I was waiting for the "but," but there wasn't any "but." He was serious and I was shocked, and I just said, "thank you!", and he told me again, "really, that was beautiful." I kept waiting for the "but," but there still wasn't one, so I figured he really, truly was serious. I told him that I had e-mailed him about auditioning back in August and that he had replied that they had just finished their August auditions, I was a few days late, but they'd be holding auditions again in January. He said, "Oh that's right, I remember. Well I should have listened to you back in August. That was beautiful." I had put on the application that I was interested in first soprano, second soprano, or first alto, and he asked what part I wanted. I told him I was most comfortable in a mezzo soprano range (medium-high), and he said you'd be a great soprano 2, and he said to the music intern, "we can have her sit next to so-and-so and so-and-so and . . . wow." So a second soprano I'll be; I like singing harmony anyway.

You could hear the people auditioning before you, and one of the women had a professional soloist quality voice and I thought, "well, there's the competition, I'll just do my best," and I knew there were people behind me and people auditioning tomorrow evening too, but I think he is looking for folks with good voices who would blend well with other people rather than stand out. The whole thing is such an ego boost for me!

So tomorrow I start singing second soprano at Tuesday night rehearsals from 7-9:30 at the First United Methodist Church in downtown Orlando. It'll keep me out of trouble one night a week anyway, and I'll get to meet some new people.

Thanks to you Wynantskill choir folks, and Jim and Jackie, and Roger too, for all your support over the years. I wouldn't have had the courage to try out for this if not for you.